I have been told to give up one of my favorite things.
GUM!
I have TMJ and chewing gum makes it worse.
My bite is all screwed up.
I was finally given confirmation that my sister Loni broke my nose when I was little.
I went to the ENT today to have my ears checked and he said that my ears are fine and diagnosed me with TMJ.
He looked in my nose only to find that my septum is deviated and said that it is from breaking my nose.
Yes, my nose is crooked!
I always wondered if I had broke my nose but never had it confirmed until now.
Loni and I were playing hands up stands up.......you know the game.
She kicked me in the nose.
I remember exactly where we were when it happened.
We were standing in the front yard on a warm afternoon after our ginormous (is that a word?) tree in the back yard had filled the front yard with shade.
Who knows if she did it on purpose.
You know how siblings are so who knows.....I could ask her now and she would probably deny doing it on purpose....I don't know,
however, I hold no malice.
She offered to pay for my nose job some day and I would now like to take her up on that!
So Loni.......pay up sista!
Just kidding, I wont make her pay, (and she didn't really offer) I will just rub noses with her every time I see her. ;)
Anywho.....
The doc gave me some exercises to do for my jaw.
Hopefully it helps!
This diagnosis explains the pain I keep getting in my teeth.
5 comments:
You have my sympathy about having to stop chewing gum. I don't know if you are a huge fan of gum, but I am. That would be really tough for me.
I have to say that, that would be torture for me to quit chewing gum. I would have a major problem with that! How do you exercise your jaw, anyway?
I have problems with TMJ too. My jaw is way out of line. And I notice if I chew gum, a few hours later I get a major headache. Even if I stopped chewing the gum way before. So I have cut down on it big time but I still need to use it on Sundays so pretty much every Sunday, I have a headache. It's so hard to not be self concious about stale church breath while sitting so close to people in church. Also, my dentist told me he hates gum and that he wishes that no one would chew it.
Yeah, what exercises did he say? My brother Eric (who just finished chiropractic school) told me to stretch it wide open and line up your teeth while you open and close it. Were there any more? I'd like to know.
Basically the exercises for TMJ are resistance exercises.
If you put your fist under your chin then lean on a table and open and close your mouth slowly 20 times pushing against your jaw.
Then the opposite way. make a fist and push down on your chin resisting when closing. Do that 20 times also. Do those exercises morning and night for 2 weeks and it strenghtens your jaw muscles. Then the doc said to do it anytime you start having problems again.
I really am sad about the gum thing. I bought some cinnamon jolly ranchers to suck on for my breath and to keep me from eating when I'm not supposed to. That is when I used gum....when I had the munchies. BooHOO!!
YOU ARE A FRUIT CAKE! IF YOU HAD NOT GOTTEN SO CLOSE TO ME WHEN I WENT TO GO DO HANDS UP THEN I WOULD NOT HAVE KICKED YOU. :))ANY NORMAL PERSON KNOWS THAT YOU MOVE AWAY FROM SOMEONE WHEN THEY ARE KICKING THEIR FEET UP..;).FOR ALL I KNOW YOU DID IT ON PURPOSE SO THAT YOU COULD RUB IT IN MY FACE {FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE}. iT WILL SAY ON MY TOMB STONE lONI KICKED ME IN THE FACE..LOL!!!! HA (I KNOW THAT BUGS YOU LOL)))
I am laughing out loud just typing LOL to you. Oh there goes a tear...
Im sorry (again). No malace intended. LOves to you my Dear.
* Loni
Post a Comment