Saturday, October 4, 2008

What the holy scrud?!!!

Wow, I haven't posted in a while.
Good excuse.....we got our delivery a week and two days ago.
A semi truck loaded in SLC (where our stuff sat for 2 months) and delivered by some very nice Mormon Tongans.
Oh.... and a few others.
Without hesitation I will say that this last week has taken a toll on me.
Mentally Physically and Emotionally.
I have cried and obsessed and cursed several times. {pardon my french}
It is unbelievable to me how someone can have a job packing and moving someones belongings when they are so careless and stupid.
The people here in Salt Lake only made one big mistake.
While taking my dresser down onto the ramp from the truck, Russell and I watched it bust right before our eyes.
The kid loaded the dresser on the dolly the wrong way.
We both cried "WHOA!" at the same time.
The kids response......"It looks fine to me!" ARGH!
The guy who was in charge of packing us in Florida, lets call him Steve, or better yet....
Sleepy Steve!
Steve failed to write down and inventory 100 items!
100 items!
Can you even imagine what was going on?
This was Steve,......while he was talking to you, his eyes would literally roll to the back of his head and he would start to doze off.
The same goes for when he was writing things down.....obviously!
No wonder he messed up our shipment.
Wait,....it gets better.
We call his supervisor and he denies that there is a problem.
For over and hour we explained to no avail what the problem was.
He could not get it!
This was all after the whole house had been packed AND loaded on the semi truck!
We finally wrote out a statement that there were over 100 items not inventoried and made him sign it.
Okay so back to our delivery here in Utah.
Things are going pretty smooth.
We are surprised that so many items made it, that we weren't paying too close attention to items that were not there.
We figured out a few things that were missing and had already written down some items that were broken.
No big deal we were shocked that it turned out so well see'n as how Sleepy Steve had made a mess of it all.
Well, after the driver leaves, Russell starts to realize that specific items are missing.....
like Emma's mattress.
Carter's mattress.
One of the crib mattresses.
Pieces to all the beds but ours.
And the list goes on and on.
So we get on the horn and find out that some of our stuff is in Washington State!
Now this is where we say....what the holy scrud?
What are we going to do for beds?
We only have one more night in the hotel, which we are paying for out of our pocket.
SO we call them back and they say, "Go buy new mattresses so your kids have somewhere to sleep."
Thank You management people!!
In the mean time we are still without the missing items.
Ironing board and Card Table included.
And as of now they cannot come to a conclusion on how or when they are going to get our stuff to us.
Double ARGH!!
So we sit and we wait.....we should be good at this right?
It seems like we have had to do a lot of that lately.
Oh, my nightstand is missing too.
So,...... bad right?
Well, here is a little snippet of how these lovely gentlemen went about packing our belongings.
I opened a box the other day that said 'master bedroom shoes,' inside I find a karaoke machine, books and two 3 lb weights thrown on top of the karaoke machine.
The scratches are there to prove it.
I took a picture for evidence.
Another....the outside of the box said 'towels' I open it to find two plaster pillars completely demolished.
It is almost like we are in the twilight zone.
Did that box really say towels on the outside?
Triple take....
And even a picture so when I wake up the next day with fresh eyes, I can see that it is true that these people don't know the difference between a towel and a very fragile plaster pillar.
HELLO PEOPLE!!
My sister and I opened a box where we witnessed just the most amazing display of what not to do while packing.
They had tossed drawers full of tools into a huge wardrobe box...just scattered all over.
Tools.
I didn't say towels....Tools, like screws and nails and hammers and such.
Everyday I open a box I am greeted with a disaster!
I am so glad that we were so lucky to get such professionals taking care and handling our belongings.
We have a grand daddy list of things to be replaced or fixed.
I am sure it is not the end of our misery!
But, at least the weather out side is not miserable.
We are enjoying every minute of my favorite season.
And I hope you are too!
I will post some pictures of our disaster soon.
It is very hard for me to live in chaos. But...when it is all done,
I will be a happy camper!

7 comments:

admin. said...

While I am reading this your music is playing Yanni, very soothing and soft, so it kind of relaxed me reading about all the mess. Im glad to see that your computer is working, do you have internet with your cable? Rick was wondering cause you dont have a land line... I said maybe it doesnt work cause its been a while. How is the mess coming? I want to come help again.

Soda Springs Idaho Home For Sale said...

Rena, that really sucks. It seems like most people now-a-days could care less about what someones thinks or feels. Like Danielle Hess, did Loni tell you about that??? I'm sorry that you're in such a huge mess. I hope that you get reimbursed financially for it, but you won't get back your time and trouble. I absolutely dread moving, you'd think I'd learn my lesson and stay put. But, I've got the gypsy blood in me I guess. I swore, I'd never do that when I was an adult, cuz I hated that mom and dad moved so much. Loni says you're coming along and your paint looks good. I can't wait to see it. Love V

Janette said...

UGH! We had a bad experience with movers, too, but nothing this bad! The ONLY piece of furniture I cared about (my piano) was the only thing that got dinged. They paid for the repair, and you'd never know it had been damaged, but, good grief! I think we ended up missing a few insignificant items, and I think we ended up with something else that wasn't ours. It wasn't worth bothering with, though. Dumb moving companies!

lindsey v said...

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all that crappiness! That's horrible!! I hope that they straighten everything out for you!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I thought the plan was that other people did all the work for you and you sat back and enjoyed!!! What the heck!! I guess next time maybe in the long run it would be easier to do it yourself. At least you would know who to yell at when things go wrong!!!

Gabrielle said...

Ahhh yes, the movers. I posted my own tirade about our horrid moving experience, too. It's so not worth it, having packers and movers! They can't organize things, can't keep track of things, they break furniture, put holes in walls, and then try to rip you off. I will never let anyone pack for me again.
I'm so sorry for your horrendous experience. I really hope the rest of your stuff comes soon and that you can wade through the disaster and get things in order. I HATE MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily said...

Holy Cow! It sounds like something that would happen to Darin and I. How very maddening!!! It's like a bad movie. But yes, you have the best weather to make everything seem a little better. Count your many blessings - that's what you did. Good for you! :)