Saturday, August 2, 2008

GrassHoPperS

Yesterday as we were loading up the luggage at the hotel in Tooele (pronounced two-will-a), It was pretty windy. We had all of the doors open to the van and Jarom's ball got blown out and sped down the parking lot and landed in a bunch of tall weeds.
So I drove down there to get it and the first step I took on the rocks triggers several flying grasshoppers to hop and fly.
So I slowly took a few steps backwards and got back in the van and was about to drive back to the hotel and get Russell so he could get the ball, when I had a brilliant idea........
{Light bulb goes on!}
Get Jarom out of the car and make him go get it!!
Brilliant right?
Well, it worked.
I got him out and sent him in the direction.
He was a little hesitant because he was probably wondering why I got out of the van to get the ball and I didn't come back with it. He crept along and wouldn't you know it, not one grasshopper landed on him.
But I am certain that they would have landed on me if I had gone in the weeds!

Two days before we moved to Florida 5 years ago, I was in my brother in law's backyard and a grasshopper landed on my leg! As I was screaming and jumping around....I stepped in a hole and heard a crack and totally messed up my ankle!
It popped completely out.
It was a major sprain!
I was on crutches for a few weeks and it took over a year to completely heal!
It was a pain in the Butt!!
So I don't even go around grasshoppers anymore! I know I will freak out if one lands on me and It will probably be my neck I break next time!

Needless to say....I hate grasshoppers! I will miss the lizards in Florida that eat all of the bugs!

6 comments:

Janette said...

Yuck! I hate bugs, too. But, I hate lizards in my house even more! (I don't mind them outside, eating bugs, but in the house...EWWEY!)

lindsey v said...

Welcome to grasshopper land. I HATE grasshoppers too and they're everywhere. Just this morning as I was weeding my flower beds I came across 2 mating!!!!!! Gross!!! I smashed them with my little shovel. (I hate smashing them too because they're so big but I would rather do that than let them produce more!!)

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

August is the worst month for them, when I walk through dry patches of grass they're everywhere with the jumping and running into my legs. They're creepy looking!

Flying Princess said...

Hey, are you actually living in Tooele or just staying in a hotel there? My grandma lives in Grantsville, just down the road. That would make a visit to her very convenient when I go see you to get my hair done. hehe.

Emily said...

I guess you're going to have to get over the grasshopper fear now that you live in the famous grasshopper land of the pioneers! Small sacrifice for the blessing of being where you want right?

Special K said...

Glad to hear you made it safely. But too bad we missed each other! It would have been fun to go to lunch.

BTW: You are too skinny! :)

Have you got a house yet?